Registration is now open for the final event in our ESRC Gendered Inclusion in Organisations series which will be held at Middlesex University London.
Day 1: 31st of May 2018: Gendered Inclusion in ‘traditional’ and ‘creative’ sector organisations and industries will look at the patterns of women’s inclusion in traditional, male-dominated industries to see if there has been much change, and also examine gendered work in ‘creative sectors’ which are considered to be more ‘female-friendly’. Speakers will discuss the issues related to gendered inclusion in finance, construction, aviation, music, film industry and journalism, illuminating how and on what conditions women are included, and how inclusion rhetoric continues to be intertwined with and often obscures continuous and new types of gender exclusion.
- Karen Lee Ashcraft (Professor of Organisational Communication at the University of Colorado Boulder)
- Melissa Fisher (Lauritis Andersen Professor at the Department of Social Anthropology at the University of Copenhagen)
- Tessa Wright (Reader at the School of Business and Management at Queen Mary University of London)
- Christina Scharff (Senior Lecturer at the Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries at King’s College London)
- Natalie Wreyford (Research Fellow on ‘Calling the Short’ project, Faculty of Humanities at the University of Southampton)
- Yasmin Alibhai-Brown (A renowned British journalist and author, and a Professor at Middlesex University)
Day 2: 1st of June 2018: Drawing conclusions and setting research agenda for Critical Inclusion Studies, will explore the ‘fall out’ of the current situation of limited inclusion looking at the rise of neoliberal feminist rhetoric, its impact, the differences between the rhetoric and women’s experiences, as well as problematize the lack of ‘inclusivity’ within the very discipline of diversity studies. We will then have a follow up round-table discussion in order to consolidate insights from previous seminars and map out future research directions for Critical Inclusion Studies.
- Florence Villesèche (Assistant Professor and Marie Curie Fellow at Copenhagen Business School)
- Catherine Rottenberg (Senior Lecturer at the Department of Foreign Literatures and Linguistics at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, and currently a Marie Currie Fellow at the Department of Sociology, Goldsmith University of London)
- Shani Orgad (Associate Professor in the Department of Media and Communications at the London School of Economic)
- Pasi Ahonen (Lecturer in Organisation Studies at the University of Essex Business School)
Attendance is FREE. Please note that the registration is free for each day To register for DAY 1 please go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gendered-inclusion-in-traditional-and-creative-sector-organisations-and-industries-tickets-45290343637
Bursaries: To encourage the participation of early career scholars and PhD students, we have a number of TRAVEL BURSARIES. To apply for a bursary please email Dr Maria Adamson email@example.com providing a brief account of your circumstances and why you are interested in attending the seminar. Bursaries are allocated on the first-come-first-served basis.
Organisers: The seminar series is organised by Dr Maria Adamson (Middlesex), Professor Elisabeth Kelan (Cranfield), Dr Patricia Lewis (Kent), Professor Nick Rumens (Middlesex), Professor Martyna Śliwa (Essex)