In embracing the conference theme of ‘Borders: prosperity and entrepreneurial responses’, the Gender and Enterprise Network (Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Special Interest Group) will host an international webinar during ISBE 2017. This webinar aims to conquer some of the political borders that separate the international entrepreneurship community by bringing us together to share and discuss the potential of entrepreneurship in conquering borders through virtual and physical presence.
A panel of gender and entrepreneurship experts, listed below, will share with us their research on how entrepreneurs conquer the borders in their minds, as well as the social, political and economic borders that define our present and future.
We encourage those interested to consider hosting a ‘webinar party’ where you gather in a classroom or auditorium at your institution to watch together, so that the content can transcend the physical borders of the ISBE 2017 conference, and inspire discussion and debate amongst your communities of practice.
|Prof Susan Marlow
University of Nottingham
|Gender, Entrepreneurship and Prosperity|
|Dr Lorna Treanor
University of Nottingham
|Overcoming Barriers and Borders: Crowdfunding and Women Entrepreneurs in Northern Ireland|
|Dr Natalia Vershinina
University of Birmingham
|EU Migrant Family Businesses in Birmingham: Reactions and Responses to Brexit|
|Dr Haya Al-Dajani
University of Plymouth
|Resourceful Arab Refugee Women Navigating Borders in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey|
|Prof Diane Holt
University of Essex
|Women, income generation and borders in the informal economy – A focus on subsistence contexts in Africa|
|Prof Maura McAdam
Dublin City University
|Chair and Discussant|
To join webinar virtually on Wednesday, November 8th at 14:00-15:30 GMT, use the link:
Tweet us at @ISBEGEN and share your experience using the hashtag #isbegen
For technical support please email Rob Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pleasant season’s greetings from all of us at GEN!
Below are a number of updates we wish to share regarding events for next year and some recent publications and initiatives in which you may be interested.
- New Book: Women, Business and the Law 2016: Getting to Equal
- Women’s Enterprise Scotland Launches World’s First Digital Gender Balance Certification Programme
- International Placement Scheme (IPS) is offering funded research fellowships at world-leading international research institutions for early career researchers, doctoral-level research assistants and AHRC/ESRC*-funded doctoral students.
- Prof Simon Down speaking on entrepreneurial masculinities on BBC Radio 4’s Thinking Allowed (based on this paper, co-authored with Andreas Giazitzoglu, in the ISBJ)
2016 Upcoming Events
- March 1: Westminster Forum seminar on women in the tech sector: access, skills development and policy priorities
- March 2: GEN seminar,’Gender and Class at Work’, co-sponsored by Dr Maria Villares and University of Birmingham Centre for Research on Ethnic Minority Enterprise (CREME). Guest Speaker: Prof Harriet Bradley.
- June 28-July 1: 9th Biennial Gender, Work and Organisation Conference at University of Keele.
- July 11-15: GEN Confreat #2 – Leeds University. Summary of 2015 Confreat here.
- October: ISBE Conference, Paris
Follow us on Twitter @ISBEGEN for more detailed information closer to these dates.
Wishing you and yours a happy new year and all the best for 2016!